GLANMIRE, a village, in the parish of RATHCOONEY, North
Liberties of the county and city of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4
miles (E.) from Cork, on the road to Dublin; containing, in 1821,
558 inhabitants; at the last census the population was returned with
the parish. The village is situated on both sides of the river
Glanmire, which, after meandering through a beautiful glen, empties
itself under a drawbridge of cast iron into the river Lee. The
vicinity is enlivened with many plantations, hanging woods, and the
number of gentlemen's seats and villas with which it is adorned. The
principal residences are Lota House, that of W. H. Greene, Esq.;
Lotabeg, of D. Callaghan, Esq.; Lotamore, of the Hon. C. L. Bernard;
Dunkittle, of A. Morris, Esq.; Sun Lodge, of W. Oliver, Esq.; Lota
Lodge, of J. S. Barry, Esq.; Fort William, of Mrs. Baker; Glentown,
of Mrs. McCall; Glanville, of E. Newsome, Esq.; Woodville, of N. M.
Cummins, Esq.; Lota Park, lately purchased by J. J. Murphy, Esq.;
Jane Mount, of W. Hickie, jun., Esq.; Lake Lodge, of John Martin,
Esq.; Castle Jane House, of R. Martin, Esq.; Castle Jane, of H.
Lawton, Esq.; Mina Villa, of J. Hardy, Esq.; Glanmire House, of Ed.
Morrogh, Esq.: North Esk, of J. Carnegie, Esq.; Park Farm, of H.
Morrogh, Esq,; Spring Hill, of G. Waters, Esq.; Glen View, of R.
Young, Esq.; and Sallybrook, of J. Hodnett, Esq. In the village are
extensive flour-mills, belonging to Mr. Shaw, and in the vicinity
are those of Messrs. Thorley and Son, for finishing calico and
linen, upwards of 1000 pieces being the weekly average; these
gentlemen have also an establishment for bleaching and dyeing, and
employ upwards of 200 persons; about the same number are engaged in
the Glanmire woollen factory, higher up the river, by Messrs. Lyons
and Hanly. The river is navigable for lighters up to the village at
high water, which bring up coal, culm, sea-sand for manure, and
other articles for the supply of the neighbourhood. The parochial
church, a plain neat building with a tower and spire, is in the
village, and was erected in 1784, on a site given by R. Rogers,
Esq.; and at a short distance is the R. C. chapel for the union of
Glanmire. Here are also male and female schools, supported by the
rector; and a female school was built and is supported by Mr. Hickie.
A dispensary is open for the relief of the poor, and a clothing
society has been established.