Fáilte Romhat

  The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Templequinlan

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland

1844-1845


TEMPLEQUINLAN ,a parish 2  miles east-north-east of Clonakilty, and partly in the barony Ibane and Barryroe, partly in the eastern division the barony of East Carbery, со. Cork, Munster. Length 1  mile breadth from to . Area of the Ibane and Barryroe section, 1,346 acres ; of the Carbery section 923. Pop. of the whole, in 1831, 1,042 ; in 1841, 1,247. Houses 225. Pop. of Ibane and Barryroe section, in 1831, 821; in 1841, 923. Houses 166. The surface is part of the side of the basin of the Arrigadeen river. A portion of the land is good ; and the remainder is of indifferent or only tolerable quality. -This parish is a vicarage, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Ross. Vicarial tithe composition and gross income, 115 0s. 10d.; nett, 109 5s. 9d. Patron, the diocesan. But the benefice has been suspended under the provisions of the Church Temporalities Act and the incumbent of the adjoining benefice performs the occasional duties for a salary of 25. The tithes are compounded for 115 0s. 10d., and are impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. A licensed room is used as the parochial place of worship, and has an attendance of 3. In 1034, the Protestants amounted to 40, and the Roman Catholics to 1,156 ; and there was no school.