Fáilte Romhat

  The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Templeomalus

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland

1844-1845


TEMPLEOMALUS, a parish in the barony of Ibane and Barryroe, 2  miles south-east by east of Clonakilty, со. Cork, Munster. It contains part of the village of Arundelmills : which see. Length, 2 miles ; breadth, 1; area 1,931 acres. Pop. in 1831, 1,352; in 1841, 1,612. Houses 275. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 1,521. Houses 258. The surface lies on the east side of Clonakilty bay, and consists, in general, of good land. This parish is a rectory, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Ross. Tithe composition 200 5s. 4d. ; glebe,  8 0s. 4d. Gross income 208 5s. 8d. nett, 174 17s. 5d. Patron, the diocesan. A licensed house is used as the parochial place of worship, and has an attendance of 20. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,500 ; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement is united to the chapel of Kilgarriffe. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 38, and the Roman Catholics to 1,354; and 2 daily schools one of which was salaried with 5 a year from the Roman Catholic clergyman - were usually attended by about 105 scholars.