Fáilte Romhat

  The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Donaghmore

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland

1844-1845


DONAGHMORE, a parish on the coast of the barony of Ibane and Barryroe, 7- miles south-east by east of Clonakilty, co. Cork, Munster.  Length 1- mile ; breadth, ;  area 312 acres. Pop., in 1831, 364; in 1841, 458. Houses 80. The surface occupies the extremity of the peninsula between the bays of Courtmacsherry and Clonakilty; the land is for the most part excellent; and the coast is bold, includes the promontory called the Seven Heads, and has a coast-guard station. - This parish is a rectory, a prebend, and a separate benefice in the dio. of Ross. Tithe composition and gross income 42; nett 33 18s. Patron, the diocesan. The incumbent is non resident and a curate has a stipend of 75. The coast-guard barrack is used as the parochial place of worship, and has an attendance of 25. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 18, and the Roman Catholics to 374; and a hedge-school was attended by about 60 children in summer.