Fáilte Romhat

  The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Desert

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland

1844-1845


DESERT, a parish 1- mile east of Clonakilty, and partly in the barony of Ibane and Barryroe, partly in the east division of the barony of Carbery, co. Cork, Munster. The Ibane and section contains part of the village of Arundel-Mills :  which see. Length, mile, breadth, . Area of the Carbery section 450 acres; of the and Barryroe section 275 acres. Pop. of the whole, in l831, 744; in 1841, 774. Houses 149. Pop. Carbery section, in 1831, 377; in 1841, 404. Houses 75. The surface extends along the head of Clonakilty bay and consists for the most part of good land _This parish is a vicarage and part the benefice of Kilgarriffe [which see] , in the dio. of Ross. The vicarial tithes are for 35, and the rectorial for 40; and the latter are appropriated to the deanery of Ross. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 8, and the Roman Catholics to 527.