Fáilte Romhat

  The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Castleventry

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland

1844-1845


CASTLE-VENTRY, a parish partly in the western division of the barony of East Carbery, and partly in the barony of lbane and Barryroe, 5 miles west of Clonakilty, co. Cork, Munster. Length 2 miles; breadth, .1 Area of the Carbery section, 3,491 acres; of the lbane and Barryroe section 1,203 acres. Pop. of the whole, in 1831, 2,474, in 1841, 2,190. Houses 360. Pop. of the Carbery section, in 1831, 1,535, in 1841, 1,480. Houses 244. The surface is upland, rough, and poor in soil; and extends to within 2 and 3 miles of the head respectively of Ross bay and Glandore Harbour. - This parish is a vicarage and part of the benefice of KILKERRANMORE which see in the dio. of Ross. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 130; and the rectorial, jointly with part of those of Kilkerranmore, are compounded for 392 0s. 2d., and are impropriate in Messrs. Foot and Roberts. The church of the benefice is situated in Castle-Ventry and was built in 1824, by means of a gift of 830 15s. 4-d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 200; attendance 30. The Roman Catholic chapel of Castle-Ventry has an attendance of 500; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Kilmeen. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 63, and the Roman Catholics to 2,458; and 2 daily schools one of which was aided with 7 10s. a-year from subscription, had an average attendance of 70 children.