Fáilte Romhat

  The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Ballymacarthy

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland

1844-1845


BALLYMACARTHY, or Ballinascarthy, a village in the parish of Kilmaleda, eastern division of the barony of East Carbery, co. Cork, Munster. It stands 2- miles north-north-east of Clonakilty on the road thence to Bandon. In its vicinity very extensive corn-mills. In 1798 a stiffly contested engagement occurred at the village between the insurgents and the Westmeath militia. Area of the village 12 acres. Pop., in 1831, 167; in 1841, 154. Houses 28.