The courthouse was originally built in 1825. The Bridewell behind the courthouse housed the local Electric Light & Power Company from 1914 to 1930. Currently the Birdwell is used by urban council as storage. The courthouse was burned down in 1921 during the War of Independence. The Kilty Stone resided outside the courthouse before it was moved next to the monument on Asna Square.