Fáilte Romhat

  Images of Clonakility - Clonakilty Post Office

Post Office

The building was originally a Presbyterian erected between the years 1859 and 1861 on a plot of ground leased from the Earl of Shannon.
The lease was finalised on 1st July 1862 between Lord Viscount Boyle, Rev. Edward Marcus Dill, George Ronaldson, Peter Shiels, Alexander Jeffrey and Bennett Hayes all members of the Presbyterian church in Clonakilty.
The Presbyterian population was at its peak in Clonakilty from 1858 but had dwindled out by 1919 when the church was closed for worship and placed under the administration of Bandon.
The rear of the church or sorting rooms of the post office was used as the Sunday School. Entrance to the school was through the south door.
The Manse or Clergyman's residence at Tawnies Lower was sold to Mrs. Ethel D. Woods in 1991 for 1,000.0. 0.

Ministers who served the Presbyterian Congregation at Clonakilty.

Rev. Edward Marcus Dill            1860    -    1862
Rev. Thomas Croskery               1863    -    1866
Rev. John Haire Charlton           1866    -    1869
Mr. William Reed                   1869    -    1873
Mr. Robert Cowan                   1873    -    1880
Rev. Edward Kimmitt                1880    -    1896
Mr. John Torrens Fleming           1896    -    June 23 1919 

The original post office in Clonakilty was located where Kirby's shoe shop is on Pearse Street.